Living life on the road, waking up to the sunrise, savoring a coffee while the morning dew tickles your toes, and embarking on long drives surrounded by nothing but nature – these are the experiences that evoke nostalgia for old-time Americana. Picture yourself singing your favorite songs around a campfire, guitar in hand. An RV-based holiday is undeniably memorable.
In recent times, the allure of camping trailers has extended to even those who wouldn’t traditionally consider them for their vacations. This shift is due to the emergence of high-tech, luxuriously appointed camping trailers that resemble stylish apartments on wheels. They offer a unique blend of modern comforts and mobility.
Today’s best luxury travel trailers boast features such as digital nomad-approved offices, second-story bedrooms, indoor bathrooms, and seamless connectivity. Life off the grid doesn’t necessitate staying in tents – pun intended. Instead, it can be a gateway to an invigorating contrast, where your biggest challenge is deciding which breathtaking location to explore next in your luxury camper.
Here are the 15 best travel trailers:
1. Bowlus – Best overall
2. Living Vehicle – Best high-end
3. Winnebago – Best value
4. Airstream – Best for remote work
5. Timberleaf Trailers – Best teardrop
6. Homegrown Trailers – Best teardrop with bathroom
7. Land Ark RV – Best high-ceiling
8. Happier Camper – Best lightweight
9. Bruder X – Best off-road
10. E-RV – Best all-electric
11. Polydrops – Best small
12. Jayco – Best mid-priced
13. Grand Design RV – Best for families
14. Taxa Outdoors – Best pop-up camper
15. Tiny Camper – Best DIY
1. Bowlus: Best overall travel trailer
– The Bowlus Terra Firma travel trailer offers a luxurious and comfortable experience for travelers.
– It features neutral interiors, a separate hotel-style shower, and plenty of space for living and relaxing.
– The Zen Master Bedroom provides a comfortable sleeping space with a two-stage water filtration system.
– It offers amenities for pet owners, including remote temperature monitoring, sliding pet food bowls, and a pet bed.
– The Find My Bowlus GPS tracking system ensures you can keep track of your trailer.
2. Living Vehicle: Best luxury camper
– The Living Vehicle Max model offers a luxurious camping experience with the comfort of a hotel on wheels.
– It is fully customizable and equipped with amenities such as air conditioning, solar power, large TV screens, chef’s kitchen, and luxury features.
– The camper includes a washing machine, Hi-Fi stereo system, and mobile connectivity.
– It provides a seamless off-grid experience with the option to connect to the grid when needed, along with a state-of-the-art security system.
3. Winnebago: Best value travel trailer
– The Winnebago Micro Minnie offers a budget-friendly option without compromising on essential features.
– It includes galley space, a sink, double-door refrigerator, microwave, and a cooktop.
– The spacious mattress and well-ventilated windows ensure a comfortable sleep.
– Patio speakers and a power awning with LED lighting enhance the outdoor experience.
4. Airstream: Most versatile travel trailer for remote work
– The Airstream Flying Cloud is a versatile travel trailer that allows you to work remotely from anywhere you desire.
– It offers multiple floor plans to accommodate various travel needs and even includes the option of a miniature office.
– This camping trailer combines style and practicality with neutral tones and comfortable features.
– It provides essential amenities, multiple USB ports, a pop-up USB/AC outlet, and a 1000-watt power inverter.
– The office area includes a swivel chair, making it perfect for remote work.
5. Timberleaf Trailers: Best teardrop trailer
– Timberleaf’s teardrop trailer is a charming and vibrant orange camping trailer known for its craftsmanship and fine woodworking.
– The Classic Teardrop Trailer comes in three varieties: Standard, All-Road, and Off-Road, each with unique features.
– It offers wheels designed for rugged terrain and a fully insulated cabin to provide comfort in various weather conditions.
– The trailer has ample space for cooking facilities and relaxation, complemented by a spacious skylight.
– You can choose from a variety of vibrant colors for the trailer.
6. Homegrown Trailers: Best teardrop camper with bathroom
– Homegrown Trailers offers the Timberline trailer, designed for travelers who seek both comfort and style.
– The trailer features an indoor shower with hot water, a freshwater sink and shower, and a large kitchen for cooking.
– You can connect it to the grid or use its solar-powered energy to access the facilities.
– The trailer is constructed from sustainable materials and incorporates energy-efficient methods.
– It’s a camping trailer designed for environmentally conscious travelers.
7. Land Ark RV: Best high-ceiling travel trailer
– The Land Ark RV Drake model offers a unique blend of a stylish camping trailer and high-design house.
– Its two-story design and neutral, light wood interiors provide comfort and style.
– This trailer can be personalized to your liking, with Instagram-friendly cushions and cozy throws.
– It features a tankless hot water system, heating, AC, custom cellular shades, energy-saving insulation, and high ceilings.
– The Drake is one of the most covetable camping trailers on the market, designed for those who appreciate comfort and aesthetics.
8. Happier Camper: Best lightweight travel trailer
– Happier Camper’s Traveler camping trailer is optimized for various adventures and offers two dedicated living spaces.
– It features an integrated bathroom and kitchenette, making it more spacious than many other lightweight trailers.
– The Traveler uses Adaptiv technology to switch living spaces into an office, dining area, bedroom, or lounge space in minutes.
– It incorporates fibreglass shells, a honeycomb floor grid, custom hardware, and durable components.
– The Traveler is suitable for travelers seeking a versatile and compact option.
9. Bruder X: Best off-road camping trailer
– Bruder X’s EXP-6 is an off-road camping trailer designed for durability and off-road adventures.
– This large and sturdy trailer can adjust its height to suit different terrains at the press of a button.
– It features a state-of-the-art cabin management system that allows you to control the trailer from your smartphone.
– The trailer includes courtesy lights, storage lockers, a clothes washer, and an external hot and cold shower.
– It’s ideal for those who want to explore off-the-beaten-path destinations.
10. E-RV: Best all-electric travel trailer
– E-RV offers the world’s first fully-electric camping trailer, providing energy efficiency and eco-friendliness.
– This trailer uses clean, solar energy to charge electronics, provide warmth, and eliminate the need for gas refills.
– It ensures you can camp off-the-grid without worrying about electricity or gas fumes.
– Solar panels on the rooftop continue charging while you’re exploring.
– E-RV is a sustainable and environment-friendly option for travelers.
11. Polydrops: Best small travel trailer
– The Polydrops P17A is a small and all-electric camping trailer known for its compact design and energy-efficient features.
– It’s equipped with solar panels, LiFePO4 batteries, and air conditioning for sustainable travel.
– The aerodynamic design makes it easy to tow, even for less-experienced drivers.
– It features a modular system with a kitchenette, micro closet, toilet, and sleeping compartment.
– The P17A is perfect for those new to camping trailers and electric vehicles.
12. Jayco: Best mid-priced camping trailer
– The Jayco Jay Flight 2021 is a mid-sized travel trailer that offers a combination of superior construction and weatherproofing.
– It comes with customizable floor plans and can accommodate various travel needs.
– The trailer includes an LED TV, smartphone-controllable systems, and fully equipped interiors.
– Whether you need more beds or additional storage space, the Jay Flight 2021 can be adjusted to your preferences.
– It’s consistently voted America’s best-selling RV and offers an all-around enjoyable experience for travelers.
13. Grand Design RV: Best travel trailer for families
– Grand Design RV’s Reflection Travel Trailer is designed for families, offering spacious and comfortable accommodations.
– It provides plenty of electronics, including a Bluetooth sound system, LED TV, motion sensor lighting, and more.
– The trailer offers a luxurious yet sensible experience, with a mini-apartment feel.
– It’s ideal for family camping trips, ensuring that everyone enjoys the journey and has a comfortable place to relax.
14. Taxa Outdoors: Best pop-up camper
– The Taxa Outdoors Mantis pop-up camper offers a laid-back and authentic camping experience.
– Despite its simplicity, the Mantis comes with everything you need for a few days of close-to-nature camping.
– It is spacious and adaptive, featuring a large cafe breakfast table and an outdoor seating area.
– The Mantis is perfect for those who prefer a more relaxed camping style while still enjoying the outdoors.
15. Tiny Camper: Best DIY camping trailer
– Tiny Camper offers DIY camping trailers that can be customized according to your preferences.
– You can choose from various frameworks, electrics, plumbing, cabinets, and color schemes.
– These trailers are highly customizable, allowing you to design your temporary home from the ground up.
– Whether you’re looking for a compact, self-built camping trailer or a fully prepared package, Tiny Camper has options for all DIY enthusiasts.
Here’s a summary of what to consider when buying a travel trailer:
1. Towing Limitations:
– Ensure your tow vehicle can handle the weight of the camping trailer.
– Check the camper trailer’s weight against your vehicle’s towing capacity.
– Leave some leeway rather than pushing your vehicle to its maximum limit.
2. Interior Features:
– Determine your intended use for the trailer.
– For basic outdoor exploration, a comfortable bed and living space may suffice.
– Digital nomads may need features like a dedicated office, additional living space, and ample storage.
– Longer trips may benefit from a kitchenette or an indoor toilet.
– Consider the number of people the trailer is designed to accommodate.
– Be mindful that maximum capacity may not guarantee a comfortable fit once personal belongings are added.
– Ensure your belongings will fit comfortably within the trailer.
4. Water Systems:
– Check the size of the water tank, availability of fresh water and grey water tanks, and whether hot water is provided.
– A smaller water tank may require frequent refilling.
– Consider your travel plans, as off-road adventures require trailers with durable materials and sturdy wheels.
– Look for camping trailers designed for off-road use for peace of mind during exploration.
6. Batteries and Charging:
– Understand the power source for the trailer to avoid inconvenience.
– Many trailers offer solar-powered or energy-efficient options and can be connected to a grid.
– Larger trailers typically have larger batteries, and some may allow external batteries to be added.
7. Tow Hitch:
– Check the type of tow hitch your trailer uses.
– Determine whether it has a standard 50mm tow ball or an articulating hitch.
– Ensure that the brake lights and indicators work when connected to your tow vehicle.
By carefully considering these factors, you can select the travel trailer that best suits your needs and travel preferences.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about travel trailers:
Which travel trailers are the best quality?
Some high-quality travel trailers include Bowlus’ Terra Firma, Living Vehicle’s Max model, and Airstream’s Flying Cloud. You can find more options in our comprehensive guide to the best travel trailers.
What is the difference between a trailer and an RV?
A trailer is a type of RV (Recreational Vehicle). RV is the overarching term that encompasses both motorized RVs and towable trailers. For more inspiration, you can explore our list of the best RVs of the year.
What are high-end travel trailer brands?
High-end travel trailer brands include Living Vehicle, Land Ark RV, Bowlus, and Bruder X, among others. Our complete guide provides information on the best high-end travel trailers suitable for various adventures.
What are the most expensive travel trailers?
Some of the most expensive travel trailers are offered by brands like Living Vehicle and Bowlus. To discover more options, check out our detailed guide on the best camping trailers.